Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Button Zipper Pull

I thought I'd share something new with you today. For months I've been trying to come up with a good-looking and durable, but inexpensive zipper pull I can use on my purses with zipper closures. In the past I have attached a split ring and a charm. This worked great, but I couldn't decide on one particular charm that I could use repeatedly that would be identifiable with SewArtsy. I tried beaded zipper pulls, but I'm terrible at beading, and I don't want to spend the money outsourcing zipper pulls.

I noticed a couple of days ago that the covered buttons I was making fit perfectly between thumb and finger (I mostly use the 3/4 and 7/8 inch size, but they come in a variety of sizes), and if I could figure out a way to attach them securely to the zipper they would always coordinate perfectly with the purse I was working on. Here's what I came up with, and lo and behold it worked!

What you'll need:
*fabric
*covered-button assembly in desired size
*coordinating cording in desired length, 1/8" width fits through the hole in a Coats and Clark zipper

Step 1: Cut fabric twice the size of the finished button.







Step 2: Place fabric right side down over the button maker and then put the button face down on top of that. Push both pieces into button maker using the "pusher" (blue part). I trimmed my fabric just a tad to reduce a bit of the bulk.

Step 3: Cut cording to desired length and slip through hole in zipper - long enough to fit into button housing, but not so long that it has too much give once the button is done. Play with it and find the best length to suit you. (Mine was just over 2")

Step 4: Gather the two ends of the cording and lay them on top of the button maker. Place button backing on top.




Step 5: Press down firmly with the "pusher". Push as hard as you can until you clearly hear it go into the back of the button (the cording adds bulk to the back of the button, so you really need to push hard to make sure the back goes all the way in and the back won't pop off after removing the button).


Step 6: Pop the finished button out of the button maker, and voila, your perfectly coordinated zipper pull.






You can do this step before or after sewing in your zipper. And it will work on any zipper - try adding one to your child's windbreaker - it will make zipping up a jacket easier and much more fun! Have fun trying it out!

Happy Tuesday! Amy

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Adorable idea!

Belinha Fernandes said...

So cool!!

Belinha Fernandes said...

I wish I could find one of those button makers!!!;-)

ceejay said...

What a great solution to a challenge we bag makers all have! Definitely will give your bags the "sewartsy" look you're going for. Great idea!